Friday, July 22, 2005

 

Germany 7 July to 21 July

Relatives included 4 month old twins kevin and mark, cousin Enricos and Angeliques. i take them for walks into town in the huge double pram and everyone asks me how hard it is with 2 little boys. They don´t realise the bags under my eyes are from discoing in nightclubs called honeypot at Straubing until the wee hours of the morning with Erhard and his sister Magdalena. It was an interesting mix of music from traditional old Bavarian music to waltzes to modern day pop.

Highlights included the English Garden in munich which actually has a huge beer garden in it with band and all, great food, beer etc. A cruise on the Donau with my Aunt Renate and Peter To a monastery. A walk in the forest at 8 pm and climbing the Alps just across the border of Austria where the views were all like scenes from Heidi with cows on the hills with bells on etc. Riding around the countryside on Erhards black BMW wearing his old black leather jacket. Visiting the town where I was born Groebenzell and the family Dichtl whom we lived with. All the beautiful old churches where I always light a candle for my mum. The 700 year old buildings at Regensburg, Wasserburg and Rosenheim etc. The castles eg Burg Trausnitz and the guided tours through them where they tell you all about the old days, the furniture and the tapestries and paintings.

The Landshuter Hochzeit was fabulous. A parade through the streets of mum´s old home town. They dress in the costumes same as those worn in the 1400´s beautiful. Also had tickets to see the Knights play traditional games on horseback, excellent. I took my 2nd cousin Sabrina with me, we had fun and great seats.

i have attended a 79th birthday Frau Ecker and my aunt Renates 58th birthday where I MET one of my cousins for the very first time KATJA, almost my age with 2 gorgeous daughters. Helena reminds me of my niece kirstin. They played the piano beautifully to entertain us.

Food has been sauerbraten, knoedel, bretzchen, obatzen, apple strudel, emmanthaler cheese, hirsch, reh, spaetzle and schweinebraten. Very yummy stuff just like mum used to make. Also Bavarian cream dessert and many cakes. Always accompanied by a beer of course.

i look forward to coming back to Germany in September. My cousin Mischa drove me to the airport this morning. Everyone has been very wonderful and helpful and very generous with their time etc which has made it a magical experience for me.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?