Friday, August 12, 2005

 

11 & 12 August SORRENTO & POSITANO

Magic Days

The perfect day yesterday. In Sorrento you pay to go to the beach. They are all set up with decking which goes out to the ocean. Jean and I wandered into town which is thousands of metres above sea level. We reached the coastline and saw the beach below. You get the lift down and pay for it (you can walk but we wanted to give our legs a break). The ticket includes the beach. Weird hey! So then we chose which beach we wanted and paid 10 more euros for a sun deck chair and towel and umbrella. It was so nice that we stayed until 6.00 pm. We even had one of those little huts that are painted in green and blue stripes for our change room. It was the best feeling swimming in the clear waters of the Tirranean Sea. Also it was so colourful to look along at all the other beaches and their umbrellas orange and red etc. They each have their own restaurant and bar so you dont need to leave the area. We spoilt ourselves rotten with a beautiful seafood lunch and lounging in sunbeds floating in the water. It is also a boat harbour so you are constantly entertained with boats coming and going. We had the best day and a fabulous lunch. It was Jeans last day unfortunately. She left this morning.

Today was another perfect day. I did the BLUE CRUISE to Positano and around the Isle of Capri. I now know how it got its name. The water along the Amalfi Coast turns into the most gorgeous deep dark blue, it looks and is so refreshing. We had a 3 hour stop in Positano which was wonderful. I took myself off to a nice seaside open air restaurant and had a yummy seafood salad. Rocket, prawns and fresh tomatoes with a view to die for and a nice hot cup of coffee. I will remember it always, especially since visiting Positano has long been a dream of mine. It didnt disappoint.

So folks, I just dont know if anything can beat these last two weeks. They have been absolute beautiful places to visit, some of the most amazing scenery I have ever seen. I was actually thinking on the way back on the cruise this afternoon, I have now done everything I really wanted to do on this trip, it has been magic and to think that I am only nearly half way. Anything after this is a bonus.

And did I mention the Gelato. Everyone is having one every night so they can try as many flavours as possible before they leave. It is delicious, and I am not even a fan of ice cream. It is made from real fruit and chunks of berries or pistacchio nuts or whatever can be seen and tasted all through it. I may get one now on my way home tonight. I think I am up to cherry flavour tonight.

So Sicily tomorrow night. Mafia territory and olive trees, should be very interesting!

By the way, another piece of trivia I forgot to mention when in Rome. They fire a cannon at midday every day and it is loud, you jump out of your skin. The reason is an old tradition. Back in the days when women didnt work, a cannon was fired at midday to remind the women to boil the water for the spaghetti because the men would be home for lunch soon. They still keep up the tradition of firing the cannon today, just for the sake of tradition. Funny hey!

OK then, I must wander back to the motel, it is 11.10 pm and I have a 6.00 am wake up call tomorrow and a full day of travel. So good night and have a great weekend. Apparently there is a party at my place this weekend and I miss out, so have fun everybody.

love Gisela

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?