Friday, August 19, 2005

 

13 August to 19 August SICILY

Drove by coach to the toe of the italian boot. Calabria region. We took the whole coach onto the ferry across to Messina and then drove on to Taormina. We stayed down at sea level in a motel but had to get a cable car up to the town. Then a bus up to a Castle for good views. Amazing places. The old outdoor theatre is also high up there and Andrea Bocelli was singing there that evening. I enquired about tickets but the only ones left were 200 euro, nearly $400 and a black tie affair. It would have been fantastic. Strolled through the town of Taormina little alleyways and found a sign that said DON CORLEONE.

We had a buffet dinner that evening on the roof of the hotel by the pool. They even put on a one man band for us. We danced especially to the Ricky Martin song in Spanish I SAID HEY; HEY; :::::: I am sure you all know the one, the italians go beserk when they here it, in the pool, on the deckchairs both young and old.

The motel belonged to a Fiat-Citroen car place so we all had our motel keys on keyrings with a little car. The men especially looked really funny carrying their little cars around by the pool.

Climbed Mt Etna the next day. Only a little way because it is smoking badly, some went further with a jeep for extra money, the keen ones. Mt Etna last erupted in 2003. I climbed inside another smaller one, right down into the centre and just then, Robert sent me an SMS with the Big Brother update. Technology is amazing hey.

Syracuse was next. Lots of archaelogical sites to visit in 42 degree heat. Limestone quarries and grottoes. Also a great ruin of a roman outdoor theatre. Then to Ortiga, a lovely town by the sea. Even saw a boat race there. It looked like our Sydney to Hobart yacht race, full of small boats.

Sicily is like a triangle so we crossed the country and passed marsala vineyards and nice hilly landscape and plenty of olive and lemon trees. Then back to the Mediterranean sea to a place called Agrigento. This is a place where we all got into the let your hair down mood again. The motel had the biggest pool i have ever seen, I had a wonderful balcony overlooking the pool. Italians are on holidays as well so the place was full which made it fun to observe the italians on holiday. We all swam and spent all afternoon and evening dinner by the pool. After 6 pm entertainment began with a disc jockey playing italian songs the locals like to party and dance to. Young and old, some dances similar to line dancing and some like ballroom dancing when the romantic songs came on like VOLARE, oh oh..... I have bought all the CDs by the way.

The poms have been great fun. I haven t laughed so much for a long time. A few of us have exchanged numbers etc because we really clicked. They liked my warped sense of humour, so I have to apologise to all you aussies out there now, because the poms might think all aussies are like me. Heaven forbid.

The following morning began with more RUINS. The Acropolis overlooking the ocean. I really do enjoy climbing around the rocks of the ruins, these went on and on for quite a long stretch and many columns were still standing so you could really imagine what it once looked like. It really was like rock climbing amongst lizards because we couldnt see each other whenever we climbed over each lot. I loved it even though we would fight each other for any scrap of shade given by the large cactus plants. Are you getting the visual of climbing in 42 degree heat. We were rewarded with a free wine tasting stop of marsala and almond liquer etc with marinated olives which I loved. It was all good. Then further rewarded with a nice long lunch break on the beach, with water so nice and clear and the archaelogical ruins on the hill behind us. A gorgeous view.

The drive to Palermo was nice, even though we sleep most of the time on the coach, must have something to do with the motion and the sun beating in. It was mainly along the coast, sometimes so close to the water, we felt like we were on the same level. No waves, so thats OK. With Palermo I kept thinking of THE LOVE BOAT show I used to watch, they always cruised to Palermo and Valetta.

So in Palermo we were told that this is mafiosa headquarters. We even wined and dined in a very classy restaurant on the beach at Mondello, an exclusive seaside resort, and apparently the mafia sometimes eat there. Another beautiful evening full of laughter because we know each other quite well now. I ate the swordfish. Even tasted ricotta canoli here in Sicily because it is known for it. Hopefully my pasta and pizza days are over. As much as I love it, enough is enough. I had salami breadrolls for breakfast, quite the norm here. We also toured up to Mondello on the hill with a grand cathedral and views overlooking Palermo. Last night all the others from the Cosmos tour left me in Sicily on my own. I waved goodbye as they left by overnight cruise ship back to Naples. So I had my first evening after 15 days at home alone and put on the TV for the first time. It was nice and a much needed quiet night.

This morning I wandered around the city, felt quite at home already as you do after 2 days in a big city, there is a whole street full of shops like Chanel and Louis Vuitton. Charmaine, you would have been in heaven. Me on the other hand, I decided to keep walking right down to the port and spent my time watching the boats, ships and fishermen. A long walk along the harbour, but lovely.

Then I caught the cab at 2 pm to Palermo airport. Luckily I have picked up a few words. We had a 40 min drive and he started driving so fast in the traffic that I said, PIANO; PIANO; which means slowly, slowly. He understood that. I also love saying SCUSI and have actually often used it in fun at home, but its funny here because everyone says it seriously all the time.

Palermo is a big city they liken it to Cairo because of the mixture of races it has attracted over the years. Arabs etc. Interesting place but doesnt look too clean. The influences are also very obvious in the architecture and in particular the Cathedrals, arabic style mosaics and walls covered in 24 carat gold leaf. Anyway goodbye to Sicily and Cosmos holidays and hello malta.

The flight was funny. The plane no sooner took off, they served drinks and then the announcement was made to prepare for landing. Short and sweet, that is how all flights should be. Some things were said by the pilot but of course I couldnt understand and just switched off. However when we landed, the man beside me did the sign of the cross and everyone on board began cheering and clapping the minute the wheels of the plane touched the ground. So I dont know if I missed something or if it is just something they always do over here.
I also enjoyed beautiful views of all the Malta islands from my window seat.

I am now in MALTA and look forward to 2 days of no wake up calls. I have 10 days here and I plan to take it easy. I am at the Bugibba Holiday Apartments and this place is amazing, from the reception area I have to go down a lift 3 floors, then walk across the pool area, more than one by the way and then get in another lift and go 3 floors up. People keep popping out of everywhere because there are steps and corridors at every turn. Its really weird but I think I am going to like it here. The motel is like a village with its own restaurants, bars, games area etc and finally once again, the Internet. I have had trouble this last week reaching one.

As far as Malta goes, I have to say I was quite surprised at the numerous amount of houses I saw from the air, all so close together. I will however reserve my judgement of this place until I get out and about a bit.

So good night for now and thanks for the emails. I will be able to respond this week as I have easy access to a computer right here in my hotel.

I will add though a little something I said to Dad by phone the other day. He is right, WE DO LIVE IN THE LUCKY COUNTRY.

love Gisela xxx

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?