Monday, August 22, 2005

 

20-26 August BUGIBBA, MALTA

Weekend in Bugibba went as planned. Two days of pure joy. Spent 1 lire and 25 cents for a sunbed and umbrella and sat in the front row because I got in early. Nothing and no-one between me and the Mediterranean Sea. One lire = $ A3.9 - best value for money I have received all holiday. It is a rocky coastline but there is sand where I swam so the water is crystal clear and a gorgeous green colour. You can swim as far out as you want. However most Europeans stay near the ladder where they can stand. Some do swim but I have to say, I am probably the best swimmer around here.

I know I shouldn't laugh, but the adult poms really do swim with those inflatable rings around their wastes with kiddy pictures on them and all. It's so funny though to see grown men wearing them.

The Maltese have been very friendly and start speaking to me while floating around the sea as most of them do. I don't need to tell them I am from Australia, they know the minute I start speaking. Even I can tell now how Aussie it sounds when I say, "see you later". Anyway, it seems they all have 5 brothers living in Australia. They all complain about the dust in their homes because all the buildings here are made of limestone bricks and since there hasn't been any rain for a long time, there is a lot of dust around. I think it also has to do with the land around here all rocky etc.

Food is good here, plenty of fresh fruit and veg sold on every street corner. Actually everything I need is here, PO, hairdresser etc. I am particularly enjoying my hot breakfasts again, bacon & eggs and baked beans hooray!

This morning I visited VALETTA which was a really busy city with markets and churches etc. I even saw 2 Caravaggio paintings in one church and from the Barraca Gardens we had beautiful views of GRAND HARBOUR. Actually I'm really looking forward to my harbour cruise on Wednesday afternoon to see it all from the water.

We were lucky today for this half day tour of the city because it was only 27 degrees today and we actually walked through the city which was good, stopping at all the important buildings eg where Napoleon stayed. I also got to sit in a movie theatre for 45 minutes called "The Malta Experience" where they take you through the history of Malta eg Phoenitians, Romans, Napoleanic times right up to the German bombings. I daren't mention my German heritage around here. Just joking. I have noticed loads of German tourists here and English so I haven't missed my newfound pommy friends' accents yet.

Because it was cooler today I also decided to do a long walk along the seashore promenade. Bugibba is a cute little village on a peninsula and I walked from there to the next little village called Qawra on the other side of the peninsula. Colourful boats were a pretty sight all the way and as it is evening the sun was doing beautiful things to the water and surrounding scenery. Along the walk I also noticed that all along the road that was raised like a type of bridge, there were doors underneath and people sitting in chairs outside cooking BBQs etc so I spoke to one of the men. These are there weekenders and they sleep in there. When they open the doors they have flowing curtains and overlook the water from under the bridge - another amazing and very good idea to make the most of space here in Malta and of water views. They are decked out with kitchen etc inside. Just amazing!

Thursday evening I am out to dinner with one of the locals, a contact through a friend of mine in Sydney (Mary Grech), her sister-in-law. We decided to go to Sliema because she drives a car and that is another town I'd heard about and would love to see. So I'm finding this a very relaxing break between my 2 tours of Europe. I'm always happiest near the water and being able to swim endlessly is just heaven for me. I swim right out to the boats and back. My suntan is coming along too now even though I do wear 15+ . Thought I'd just get that in before anyone lectures me.

All the shops close down here for the afternoon because it is too hot so they have siesta time and reopen again after 4.00 pm or whenever they are ready. You need all your patience around here and Italy if you are used to the fast pace of Sydney life. Anyway all the shops then stay open till very late and thats when everyone, tourists as well as the locals all go walkabout. So now and even more so later on tonight, the streets are full of people. So I just started to stroll back knowing I had a long walk ahead of me back to Bugibba when I decided to have a little treat and hopped on a horse & carriage ride. It was fun and romantic to travel the old-fashioned way along the rocky coastline admiring the sea and cliffs in the background. He took me all along the promenade and then into the sidestreets through the centre of the little village and back again. So that was my highlight for tonight. I will sleep well and dream of my handsome prince charming.

Goodnight everyone. love Gisela

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?